Lykourgos Logothetis was the island's leader during the revolution against the Turks. This castle lodged the headquarters of the revolution and it was built by remains of archeological monuments.
The castle of Lykourgos Logothetis is situated to the southwest of the port of Pithagorio, and it was built at the beginning of the 19th century, when it became a jumping-off point of resistance and attack for the fighters of the Greek Revolution and housed the Samiots' headquarters during their endeavors to throw off the Turkish yoke. It has a length of 400 meters and was built in 1824 with the help of all the islanders as a defense against the Ottoman fleet. Near the castle stands the imposing Church of the Transfiguration, whose annual festival is observed each year on 6 August, the date on which in 1824 Samos was saved from the onset of the Turks.
The hill of the castle of Logothetides must have been the oldest acropolis in Samos, inhabited since the prehistoric period. In the castle's yard, one can come across two galleries of a Roman establishment from the imperial era, as well as the remains of some churches of the late